I suggest you ...

Background jobs

556 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
runeAdminrune (Admin, AppHarbor) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • janfljanfl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmmm..... think its bad business not to answer back on post for over 8 month now..... Have you closed down or...

• EisenbergEffectEisenbergEffect commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on this? Your blog post saying you are working on it is dated January. So, it's been almost a year...I'd really like to know what's happening since this has implications on my architecture.

• RangoricRangoric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely like this idea. Being able to trigger them and have them spin up and down as needed would also be interesting.

• pmontepmonte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

added my 3 votes on this. do you have a date when we can except this feature to be added to appharbor?

• bendaiabendaia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also looking forward the background workers! with message queue like (Amazon SQS) It's one way to acheive the scability and the decoupling.

• pjvdspjvds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need background workers to process messages from queues for async work.

• ttAdmintt (Admin, AppHarbor) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, it is acceptable to create a second application for the purpose, but since this is prohibited in our terms, it will only be permitted until we introduce a proper solution.

• cdeutschcdeutsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have suggestions or guidelines on what to do in the meantime? I have some jobs that can take up to a couple minutes to complete which can cause the web server to stop responding while they're running. Is it ok, to create a second AppHarbor Application just for these jobs? Or would that cause other issues? I can be reached at cd@cdeutsch.com

• duncansduncans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about implementing it as simply a URL in the web app that gets pinged at a regular (configurable) interval? You then simply create an action on a "BackgroundJobsController" say (could be IP address restricted, to mitigate DoS), and it's job done.

• seriemaseriema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love something like this. My project relies heavily on webscraping and having a job that can run and update the database is exactly what I need!

Feedback and Knowledge Base